Saturday 26 January 2008

Counting

Counting what? Everything!

I have inherited a peculiar trait from my mother where we count anything and everything to pass the time. Steps while walking, weeds pulled, pegs going onto and off the washing line, clothes being folded... and quilt seams sewn. I like to know how far through something I am, or to have some measure of what I have achieved. I am very goal-oriented - which maybe explains why I like hand-sewing the binding the binding onto quilts so much - another one finished!

But back to the seams... I calculate how many pieces there will be in a quilt (down to strips joined for binding and borders) and as I sew, I subtract each lot of seams. Each seam sewn means one less piece. Leia's quilt has a total of exactly 630 pieces, and is currently in 343 pieces.

I wonder if this strange tendency influenced my job? I work at the Australian Bureau of Statistics when I'm not a SAHM!

Anyone else???

Oh, and while I'm counting. Metres of fabric = 672.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG! I thought I was the only one!! I find counting can be very therapeutic.