Thursday 24 September 2009

Thread stash

I'm building up quite a stash of threads. Mostly they're cottons for piecing and quilting, but I've recently added a whole heap of QA polyester embroidery threads. They were recommended by a professional quilter, and came in packs of 14 x 1000m spools for under $20 - bargain! Although it's not the best for finding and reaching what I want, my threads are now in (and have filled!) this 20L tub.
My favourites are King Tut, but unfortunately most of their threads (including the variegated threads I really love) are 40wt, and my machine clearly prefers 50wt for FMQing. So I'm trying the King Tut 50wt and a selectio of Aurifil as well. I also have a stack of Guterman; mostly black white and a few creams/neutrals for piecing. But that's 50wt, and I'm going through oodles of the white to do the McTavishing. Just one of the tree wallhangings used about 500m of thread in the quilting!

4 comments:

Beena said...

I gauge the amount of quilting I've done on a piece by how many bobbins I have had to refill! For quilting, I'm stuck on a brand of thread that isn't readily available everywhere. So every time I go to this one place that sells it, I buy up a few more spools. It's a 40wt poly...which isn't the same as a 40wt cotton or silk (Synthetic fibers are finer by lower wt numbers...cotton and silks are finer by higher wt numbers).Anyway, it doesn't give me any problems,comes in lots of yummy colors, so I'm sticking to it!

susan said...

love the thread collection. quick way to make it pretty? put it in a big jar!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98764574@N00/3930513182/in/set-72157604934501722/

AJ said...

Almost as pretty as fabric!!

Lily Mulholland said...

Holy shitski Emma! Jealous much!!