Thursday 5 November 2009

The beach

The sand part of my beach quilts is always the biggest challenge. This is simply because of a lack of sand fabrics. It's not for want of trying; there isn't a decent sand fabric I can find that isn't already in my stash. Are you listening, fabric designers and manufacturers? I have a few great ones (I love the ripples and the footprints) and there are some good novelty sand prints; reasonably realistic toys, beach chairs and huts, and the grasses. But more basic sands would come in very handy. Please?

I might have to come up with a variation on my Seaside style of beach quilt, which needs less sand.

I still have to add a few appliques to this row, but the piecing is done.

6 comments:

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Since you have a very specific need for sand, why don't you take some photographs at the beach and make your own fabric? You can either print it yourself on ink jet fabric or order from people such as spoonflower.

I always love watching the progress on one of your seashore quilts. :-)

Annieofbluegables said...

No matter what you are doing, you are truly a genius and an artist. I am in awe of your amazing talent.
~a

Unknown said...

I was going to suggest something similar to Tami, maybe you need to add fabric design to your list of talents. The beach, but the way, looks gorgeous. I love the footprints.

wordmama said...

I love looking at all the little details on this panel. It is going to be amazing. I like the other comments about creating new fabric. It opens up all kinds of options. Keep us informed.

Beena said...

I did, in fact, end up designing my own beach fabrics and a sand castle panel which I had printed from Spoonflower.

But before that, I had bought a batik that was sand colored with a grainy texture that worked well for sand. In fact, I found a lot of fabrics that looked more like sand than those that were supposed to look like sand...and if you stipple them when quilting, you get even more of a sand appearance!

Austysmum said...

You know I am in love with this one don't you ;) Your beach quilts are amazing!