Saturday 20 November 2010

OUCH!

I've benn out of action for a few days. Late on Wednesday night I got careless with the rotary cutter and sliced off half a fingernail and a sliver of finger, and spent from 1am-6am at emergency - most of that time waiting.


This is how I left what I was doing (at least there was no damage to the fabric!) and the current state of my finger. Offending tool in plain view - blade replacement due before I start cutting again! I've been on pretty strong pain-killers, and have been either sleeping or feeling very woozy most of the time, but it's slowly getting better and I'm feeling more like myself - but if I don't keep my finger above shoulder level, or if I move it, it throbs badly, so I'm kind of useless!

Before the accident, I had added the last 2 borders to this quilt, so it's now ready to sandwich and quilt - one day!



I was cutting another flannel quilt, using slightly softer pinks this time:




I'm hoping by tomorrw I'll be up to doing a bit more; I can't afford to lose any mre time!

15 comments:

Xena said...

just the thought of it makes me wince in pain. Hope it all heels nicely and quickly.

Quilts on Bastings said...

Oh no Emma, I do hope it gets better quickly.
Cheers,
Karen

Unknown said...

Oh Dear..Sorry to hear of your little accident...it will probably take a bit of time to mend..that part of the finger is very tender...best take it easy while you can...I love the first quilt especially the cute owl in the centre..love the 3D effect...
cheers for a speedy recovery.

Quiltbenaco said...

Mi spiace tanto.....
ci sarà un lato positivo....
tipo....puoi riposare....
non puoi lavare i piatti....
no è....

Riprenditi presto!
Ciao Domenica

Anonymous said...

Ow, ow, ow. You poor thing. Now I'm really wary of my cutter. Hope it's feeling much better soon.

zarina said...

A true fabric lover - showing off the fabric has not been spoiled. I too had a similar accident where the rotary cutter fell on my left foot - hitting some serious artery and bone.

Corrie said...

oh emma, ouch!!!!!!!!!!!1 quilting can be dangerous for your health then

rest up and hope you're back to normal soon

corrie:)

Vicki W said...

Been there, done that! I hate when things like that happen. It puts me so far behind!

Unknown said...

I did that same thing in July. Ouch, I know how much it hurts! Now 5 months later it is still hyper-sensitive from cutting the nerve, but even that is getting better all the time. Hang in there!

Wendy said...

Time?!
You can't afford to lose anymore FINGERS!!!

Glad it wasn't any worse, and here's hoping you mend really QUICK!
=-)

Sue said...

ouch!!! hope it heals soon, I think it has put me of quilting for today

LittleWhiteDove said...

Ouch ouch ouch! I hope your finger feels better soon. The quilt top looks lovely, what a clever design!

Elaine Adair said...

Cringe, cringe - can hardly think about it. Owieeee!!! Thank good ness the fabric was OK! LOL

I enjoy your blog and photos so very much - !!!

(wow - I had problems sending this - the audio came on for Word Verification! Wierd - never heard that before)

Michelle said...

Oh, ouch! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous when its done, though.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just did the same thing this week too! So I sympathise. I cut through the same finger half way across the nail and needed to get stitches at hospital. My ffabric was not damaged either so lucky there, just frustrated. We take so much for granted.
Kim, Sydney, Australia.